Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dear Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07256/817051-28.stm

Dear Tim,

I was glad to see someone from Pittsburgh reporting on Bacn today. The story has traveled around the globe and it is nice to get a little hometown coverage. So thanks for picking up the story.

I do have a few concerns about your decision to interview people from outside of Pittsburgh. There were over 250 people in attendance at PodCamp and not one of them was mentioned in the article. Certainly some of the local people who coined the phrase would have been interesting to your readers. As well as the fact that the people you did interview talked about phones, spam and identity theft. I really think you missed an opportunity to celebrate the fact that Pittsburgh is influencing the world in a major way.

I also wanted to let you know that you missed an opportunity to praise the folks locally for being ahead of the curve. Many of them have communicated to me this morning about the article and their disappointment is quite noticeable. Let me remind you that these are the people who overnight had the world talking about Bacn.

- Norm

6 comments:

Justin Kownacki said...

Well said. "Missed opportunities" seem to be a hallmark of the living-in-Pittsburgh experience.

Norm said...

The Conversation Continues:

TGrant@post-gazette.com> wrote:

Dear Norman -- Thank you for contacting me concerning the article on Bacn. I understand your frustration in not seeing the people directly involved in coining the phrase recognized in our story. But I hope you can understand the challenge I faced in writing a 15-inch story meant to provide a wide overview of this new term to a general newspaper reading audience. I certainly wanted to point out that Bacn originated in Pittsburgh, and more specifically -- The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. But given my space limitations, I couldn't go into much more detail than that. Please accept my apologies. I hope there will be another opportunity to tell the story of Bacn in much fuller detail in a future story. And please feel free to contact me with story ideas as they occur to you. Tim



Tim,
I do appreciate your mention of the origination in Pittsburgh and The Art Institute mention.

I guess my concern isn't so much in seeing people who were at podcamp in print, but more in your choice of people you did interview. Their comments took the spotlight off of what happened and made it sound like another form of email people need to be scared of. Bacn is more about knowing how to manage your inbox not your junk mail folder. From my perspective it feels like you missed the point.

I would encourage you to pursue another story on the success of PodCamp in PGH. While Bacn was a huge success of PodCamp PGH there are other notable features. Pittsburgh is recognized as a leader in new media. Recently I attended PodCamp Philly and most people recognized the Pittsburgh event as one of the premier podcamps in the country. I would be happy to put together some facts and people available for interview if you are interested.

Norm

Anonymous said...

What a load of BS. He could have very easily left out any of the other random folk that he quoted. I would have been happy even with "Norm from AI said 'yup, i love me some bacn'"

I really hate to see when the local guys are passed over in hometown media. Chaps my ass even more when I know them.

There was no need for at least 2 of the people interviewed. The space could have been used more effectively.

Josh Sager said...

Thank you Norm for putting this out there!! Often times it seems Pittsburgh is picked up in the national media like, CNN, the New York Times, and the Chicago Tribune before well before the local picks up on it. I'm not really sure why that is. There are some great things going on in this town and I'd love to read more about it in local publications rather than from national news and RSS feeds.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think they feel threatened by us. Check out Mike Seate's column on PittGirl yesterday....in burghseyeview vernacular....jagoff

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Truly yours
Timm Clade